Tamales De Rancho
Cook Time: 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- A favorite Mexican dish that is sure to be a party hit.
- 28 oz Mild Green Enchilada Sauce
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 cup cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 bag dried corn husks, soaked in warm water until pliable
- 4 cup prepared masa harina (follow directions on masa bag)
- Salt, to taste
- Refried beans
- In a blender, add the enchilada sauce, 1 large chopped onion, garlic and cilantro; blend until pureed.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick pan; add the ¼ cup diced onion and sauté until transparent.
- Add the pureed sauce and cook over high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the sauce; stir and cover. Cook over low heat for 5 more minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Spread out a corn husk and place 1 ½ – 2 tablespoons of masa on it; either flatten it with your hands or spread it evenly so it covers a 2 x 3-inch square, leaving 1-inch border on all sides.
- Place 1 ½-2 tablepoons of the chicken mixture on top of the masa.
- Roll the husk up lengthwise; fold up the bottom.
- As soon as the water in your steamer comes to a boil, lower the heat, cover and cook 1 hour (or 25 minutes in a pressure cooker), or until the masa does not stick to the husk when unrolled.