Fire up your grill this summer with this crowd-pleasing, flavor-packed chicken recipe! Developed by Chef Yvette Marquez-Sharpnack, author of MuyBuenoCookbook.com
Total Cook Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
1 3 to 4 pounds chicken, neck and giblets removed
One 28-ounce can Las Palmas® Red Chile Sauce, divided into two equal parts
2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon oregano
1/4 cup honey
- To Cook the Chicken:
- Tuck the wing tips under the chicken body. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
- In a bowl combine Las Palmas® Red Chile Sauce, pepper, oregano, and honey.
- Rub about 1 cup of the mixture all over the chicken (reserve the rest for the sauce at the end).
- Using your fingers, carefully loosen the skin from the breast and legs and massage the mixture under the skin.
- Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with paprika to get a reddish color and crispy crust. Roast or grill chicken according to directions below.
- In a saucepan, add the remaining sauce and stir until well combined. Boil over high heat until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the chicken on the grill, as indicated below. (If a grill is not available, use a rotisserie oven or oven roast your chicken)
- Transfer the chicken to a carving board, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the chile honey glaze alongside. Grill:
- Set up grill for indirect grilling. Clean and lightly oil hot grates.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on opposite side of grill from heat. Cover and grill until cooked, about 1 1/2 hours, rotating halfway through cooking (if using a charcoal grill, add a couple of handfuls of charcoal every half hour to maintain heat). Rotisserie Oven Alternative:
- Place the chicken upright, with the legs pointing down, on the roasting rack of an electric rotisserie according to the manufacturer's instructions. Set the roasting rack inside the drip tray, and then transfer to the rotisserie. Roast at 400 degrees F. according to the manufacturer's instructions, about 55 minutes. Roasting Alternative:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place chicken breast-side up in a roasting pan or large ovenproof skillet.
- Roast the chicken for 45 minutes uncovered. Tent lightly with aluminum foil and bake for an additional 45 minutes until it has finished cooking.
Note: To test for doneness, insert into the thickest part of the breast, away from the bone, registers 160 degrees F. and the thigh registers 170 degrees F.