Get the party started with these spicy bacon-wrapped shrimp! Developed by Chef Yvette Marquez-Sharpnack, author of MuyBuenoCookbook.com
Total Cook Time: 12 minutes
2 garlic cloves
2 serrano pepper, stemmed and coarsely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed and coarsely chopped
1/4 yellow onion, chopped
One 28-ounce can Las Palmas® Green Enchilada Sauce
salt to taste
1/2 pound bacon
1/2 cup salted butter, melted
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
20 Medium-large shrimp, about 1 pound
3 jalapeno peppers, cut into thin strips
wooden toothpicks, presoaked
- For the Salsa Verde:
- In a blender place garlic, chopped serrano and jalapeño peppers, onion, cilantro, Las Palmas® Green Enchilada Sauce, and blend for about 1 minute. Do not over blend. Salsa should be chunky. Taste and add salt as needed. For the Shrimp:
- Microwave bacon on high for 1 minute. Separate slices and cut slices in half crosswise and let cool.
- In a bowl, combine melted butter, lime juice, garlic powder, pepper, and oregano.
- Peel the shrimp, butterfly, and devein, leaving the tail and last section intact. Place 2 jalapeño strips in each shrimp and press sides together. Wrap a half slice of bacon around each shrimp and secure with a toothpick. Use a pastry brush to coat the shrimp with butter mixture. Grill:
- Skewer 3 to 4 shrimp per skewer. (If using wooden skewers, don’t forget to soak skewers about 30 minutes before using.) Place crosswise on the grates and grill for about 4 to 6 minutes on each side. Remove from skewer and serve warm with salsa verde. Broiling Alternative:
- Place bacon-wrapped shrimp evenly on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Place under broiler. Broil for 10 to 12 minutes, turning over after 5 to 6 minutes.